Friday, February 7, 2014

She is worth far more than rubies...

10 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.

...

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:

29 “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.”

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

31 Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Proverbs 31 has always been a mystery for me as a young single man. The question is where do you find a woman of such noble character? She sounds perfect, too perfect! I mean honestly where do you find a woman with all that strength, dignity, wisdom, kindness...the Proverbs 31 list seems impossible in our world today at least!

Well, now that I am a married man, I think I'm just starting to understand this passage for the first time. My wife Leah is showing me everyday that I am with her a glimpse into what Proverbs 31 really means. It is one thing to read Proverbs 31, it is totally another thing to see, listen, and feel Proverbs 31 lived out in my daily life.

And everyday, I am trying more and more to find ways to give Leah praise. Finding ways to encourage my wife's talents, gifts, and virtues. This is something I think all of us can learn to do with our loves ones: husbands, wives, children, friends, and family. Not only that, I think we can learn to apply some of these principles with complete strangers or even our worst enemies.

What do I mean by this? Earlier in Proverbs 15:1, the author writes, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." This is a classic verse of biblical wisdom. But more than that, if we not only read this verse but learn to apply this to our lives, we truly can avoid many heated arguments and conflicts. In the same way, if we understand the principle of Proverbs 31, than I think we can truly learn to appreciate our spouses, loved ones, and maybe just maybe even our enemies.

You see as a young man, I thought I always had to keep my eye open for the "one", the "women of noble character". And in some ways, yes, the Lord brought Leah into my life...but that is not the main lesson here. What I have learned as a married man, is that we have to apply Proverbs 31 into our lives. You might be asking but isn't this all about a "wife of noble character". My answer is yes and no. Yes, this passage is talking about the ideal biblical wife but it is also more than that. This virtues in this passage can AND should be applied by everyone: male, female, boy, or girl. If you want to find the "perfect" spouse, you have to first be the "perfect" spouse. In other words, start learning to apply Proverbs 31 into your life. Learn how to appreciate a "wife or woman of noble character" by practicing those things. You will quickly (and I mean this) learn how difficult it is to practice even a few of these biblical qualities. I hope this helps you understand the importance of applying God's word into your life before ever trying to "look" for that special one.

No comments: