Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Before the Throne of God Above


In my devotional this week, I have been going through the book of Colossians. This epistle is another four-chapter like Philippians that packs a strong punch of theology right at you. I was surprised as I read thru Colossians that one of my favorite hymns "Before the Throne of God Above" draws upon Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 of Colossians. Take a look here of the passages used by this beloved hymn in the last two Stanzas:

When Satan tempts me to despair (Luke 22:31-32) And tells me of the guilt within, Upward I look and see Him there (Acts 7:55-56) Who made an end of all my sin. (Col 2:13-14) Because the sinless Savior died My sinful soul is counted free. For God the just is satisfied To look on Him and pardon me. (Rom 3:24-26)

Behold Him there the risen Lamb, (Rev 5:6) My perfect spotless righteousness, (1 Cor 1:30; 1 Peter 1:18-19) The great unchangeable I AM, (Heb 13:8; John 8:58) The King of glory and of grace, One with Himself I cannot die. My soul is purchased by His blood, (Acts 20:28) My life is hid with Christ on high, (Col 3:3) With Christ my Savior and my God! (Tit 2:13)

As you can see the author used a lot of scripture imagery when she first wrote this poem which was later turned into a hymn. (Yes, the author, Charitie Lees Smith, was a woman who was born in 1841 in the vicinity of Dublin, Ireland. She was the daughter of a minister of the Church of Ireland.) What I love about the imagery of this poem/hymn is that I am reminded that my life is hid with Christ on high. This come directly out of Colossians 3:3-4 which says, "For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then, you also will appear with him in glory."

I hope that when you too hear these words you find comfort that Jesus Christ is our advocate. He stands on our behalf and speaks in our defense against the accuser. Whenever you are tempted to despair, look up to Jesus who made in end of all our sin which comes from Colossians 2:13-14. Let us encourage one another to look to Jesus who truly holds all things together (Colossians 1:17) and to practice compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience (Colossians 3:12) this week! Listen to this powerful rendition of "Before the Throne of God Above", it's one of my favorite worship songs of all time.

No comments: