Thursday, December 5, 2013

Being in Awe of God

Being in awe of God is not a strong point of today’s culture. In fact, being in awe of anything or anyone falls fairly low in scale of most people’s daily life. The rapid progression of science and technology continually researches what was once unknown making it known; thus, turning the mysterious into the common. People are no longer in awe of tornadoes, hurricanes, or unusual storms as in past generations. Science has explained that these natural phenomena are caused by pressure systems, humidity levels, and changes in temperature. Technology has helped predict the weather forecast and the annual climate. Most people are also no longer left in wonder by magicians and performers because they know there is a scientific explanation to the trick or act. What about God? What do people think about when they think about God? Is God worthy of awe and wonder or can God be explained by human progression? In my person study, I believe God is the one thing in the created universe that can never be truly explained in human terms, and only God can create a sense of humility, awe, and wonder found in a worshipful heart.

I write this knowing that my natural inclination this week has not been towards worshiping God as He deserves. Yesterday, I lost something very valuable to me and I've been beating myself up about it. I've wrestled with God and asked Him, "Why?" So I struggle even as I write asking myself am I worshiping God in spirit and truth? Am I believing that God is awesome, holy, and mysterious? Psalm 145:3-13 says,

3 Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom. 4 One generation commends your works to another; they tell of your mighty acts. 5 They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty— and I will meditate on your wonderful works. 6 They tell of the power of your awesome works— and I will proclaim your great deeds. 7 They celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness.

8 The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. 9 The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made. 10 All your works praise you, Lord; your faithful people extol you. 11 They tell of the glory of your kingdom and speak of your might, 12 so that all people may know of your mighty acts and the glorious splendor of your kingdom. 13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations.

The comfort in the Bible is found that is has nothing to do with me, but everything to do about God. The psalmist David shifts the focus from "I" towards God. Great is the Lord. God is most worthy of praise. I am not the lord. I am not most worthy of praise. The truth found in Scripture is that the world has nothing to do with me but everything to do with worshiping God. You and I are made in the image of Christ. We are a but a reflection of God's glory. So what good would it be if I found the most valuable prize in the world, but forfeited my soul? I would rather have God as my prize who is more valuable than anything in this world. God is out of this world, but while I am in this world...I will worship.

No comments: