Thursday, June 27, 2013

Peter, John, and the crippled beggar

"It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazereth..." In Acts 3 and 4, our story begins with Peter, John, and the crippled beggar. I like how the passage begins like a story with "One day Peter and John were going up to the temple..." In this story, the two apostles perform a miracle in the name of Jesus by the temple gate called Beautiful! A crippled beggar from birth was carried each day day to this same spot to beg for money. But on this day...on THIS day...This crippled beggar was given a far better gift then silver or gold -- He was completely healed through the power of God!

There are passages, quotes, and verses in the Bible that really jump out at you. Acts 3:6 is one of those for me. Peter says, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." BOOM! Doesn't that verse just hit the breath straight out of you? But of course, there is more to this miraculous healing...

Peter and John share the Good News of Jesus how He lived, was crucified, was buried, and rose gain. Then, there is the call to salvation. Peter says, "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, and that he may sent the Christ , who has been appointed for you-even Jesus."

What does the passage teach me? I might not have silver or gold to pass around to every person in need...but one thing I have is the Gospel. I can always give away the greatest treasure which is the gift of salvation from Jesus Christ and the relationship that comes along with that precious gift. So I hope you will join me as I earnestly pledge to lift up the name of Jesus, wherever I am, whenever I can, and whoever I meet...Let us be able to say, "It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazereth."

No comments: