Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Story of the Rich Young Man...and Jesus! (2/2)

Luke 18:25-30: Those who heard this asked, “Who then can be saved?” Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.” Peter said to him, “We have left all we had to follow you!” “Truly I tell you,” Jesus said to them, “no one who has left home or wife or brothers or sisters or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.”

What did you learn from the story of the rich young man and Jesus? The rich young man went away sad because Jesus knew that his heart was divided. He wanted to do good but since he had all that wealth it was hard for him to let it go. This young man was not necessarily and evil man in fact he was keeping the majority of God's commands (almost all of them!). But one thing was lacking...He was not able to give his WHOLE heart to God because part of it was stuck in worldly riches. Many of us can fall into this easily, the cares of the world can pull us away from God. I know I have fallen into that in my life but for me I have asked myself "what good would it profit me if I gain the world but lose my soul". For me, I want Jesus as the center of my life. The rich young man did not pass the test...but will you pass? Jesus more than anything else wants us to follow him with our whole heart! This is hard! But Jesus gave me hope, gave us all hope when he said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible!"

1) Keep the commands of Jesus 2) Sell everything, give to the poor! 3) Money and things become idols 4) Follow Jesus with your whole heart!

No comments: